Brief History of School
Kenyatta High School Mwatate began in 1970 through a government grant which facilitated the construction of the school. It started as a full government school with three (3) streams in each class from form 1 – 4 and two streams in form 5 and 6. The student were drawn from St. Mary’s High School, Lushangonyi and Dr. Aggrey High School and the first Principal was Hon. EliudMcharo. The first president of the nation, the late MzeeJomo Kenyatta laid the foundation stone of this school on 7th August 1970.
The school changed to four streams on induction of the 8-4-4 system of education. It is situated in Mwatate Sub Location, Mwatate Location, Mwatate Sub County in TaitaTaveta County. It is also located 25 kilometres from Voi the Nairobi – Mombasa Highway.
To be a leading centre for academic excellence.
To train and equip students with knowledge, skills and right attitudes through discipline,
dedication and determination.
PRINCIPAL’S TENURE OF OFFICE
1. MR. ELIUD M. MCHARO - 1970 to 1971
2. MR. GIDEON M. OKWIYA - 1971 to 1973
3. MR. SAMUEL S. MANENO - 1973 to 1980
4. MR. SHEM J. BAYAYA - 1980 to 1981
5. MR. JOHN M. WAWIRE - 1981 to 1983
6. MR. JUMA M. MWACHIHI - 1983 to 1988
7. MR. GIBRAN B. MWAITA - 1988 to 1997
8. MR. JOHN MWAWAZA - 1998 to 2000
9. MR. JULIUS K. NGONDO - 2001 to 2012
10. MR. SEVERINI TOLE - 2013 to date
C.D.F. CONTRIBUTION TO THE SCHOOL
The school benefited from C.D.F. where it equipped the school e-laboratory which has assisted the students to acquire ICT skills.
CHALLENGES IN TERMS OF INFRASTRUCTURE
1. Need to expand the kitchen / dining to accommodate the ever increasing number of students.
2. Need for more classrooms
3. Need for more laboratories
4. Need for more dormitories to accommodate more students.
5. Need for a steady fresh water supply .i.e. purification of bore hole water.
The school has continued to improve in terms of academic performance.
The school has the following physical facilities:
(i) An administration block.
(ii) 16 classrooms.
(iii) 5 laboratories.
(iv) 2 workshops.
(v) 1 library
(vi) 1 dining hall.
(vii) 7 dormitories.
(viii) One lecture theatre and a common room.
(ix) A school canteen and bakery.
(x) A school dispensary.
(xi) three football pitches, 2 basketball courts, two volleyball pitches, two handball pitches and racquet games facilities.
(xii) 27 staff house, 23 occupied by teachers and 4 by non-teaching staff.