PLEASE KEEP ON SCROLLING TO GET YOUR CLASS ASSIGNMENT 2020
1. The diagram below shows four common network topologies A, B, C and D
ii. Explain what happens if server X fails
iii. List two problems associated with network topology B
iv. List two disadvantages associated with network topology B
2 a) Define a computer network
b) A part from metropolitan area network, explain two other networks
c)Explain two limitations of networking
3. One of the elements of networking includes communication devices. Explain the function of the following communication device
i. Network Interface Card
4.a) Describe two differences between metropolitan area network and wide area network
b) List any three components of local area network
5 i) Explain three components of satellite.
ii) State two advantages of the above media
iii) List three examples of radio waves signal
6. Define the following terms as used in data communication
7. Explain the “line of sight” principle in data communication
i. Two advantages of networking
ii. Two disadvantages of networking
b) State any three functions of network operating system
c) Distinguish between logical topology and physical topology
i. Two advantages of star topology
ii. Two disadvantages of bus topology
9. Describe two differences between metropolitan area network and wide area network
10. a)Explain the following terms as used in networking
i. Point to point connection
b) What is a wireless network?
c) List four forms of wireless network
d)List three advantages of wireless network
11. List any four network elements of a local area network
12. State three major types of networks
13. a)Give the full forms of the following acronyms
b) i) List 5 advantages of fibre optic cables.
ii) List two disadvantages of fibre optics.
c) State three types of hubs
14. State the function of each of the following:-
a) Network protocol
15. a) Distinguish between unshielded twisted pair (UTP) and shield twisted pair (STP)
b) i) With an aid of a diagram describe the mesh topology.
ii) Highlight one advantage and two disadvantages of the above network topology
c) Highlight four limitations computer networking
d) Define the following terms
i. Data Terminal Equipment
ii. Remote Terminal
16. Study diagram below and answer question that follow.
ii) Name the parts labelled A, B, C and D
iii) Highlight any three advantages of the above cable.
What is meant by
a) Analogue data
b) Digital data
18. State three forms of communication that can be transmitted by an ISDN line.
19. Give the function of the following communication devices
20. Explain the two most common protocols for the internet
21. a)Explain the use of these communication devices
22. Explain the term multiplexing
23. Explain the meaning of the following terms as used in computer data transmission
a) Simplex transmission
b) Half duplex transmission
c) Full duplex transmission
24. Differentiate between data processing and data communication
25. Describe the situations where the following devices may be used in a network
i. Wireless printer
26. With the use of a diagram describe three main modes of data communication
27. Give three main reasons why the uses of fibre optic cables over the coaxial cable are more reliable in term of security, resistance and physical injury
28. List 2 advantages of networking computers.
29. Using a suitable diagram draw the following network topologies
c) Token ring
ii) State 2 functions of a network operating system
iii)The following are some of the acronyms found in a network environment, write them in full
iv) State two disadvantages of optical fibre
30. i) Describe how an optical fibre works. Use diagram to aid your explanation
31. a) State three communicating methods without use of cables
b) Give two examples of third generation languages
32. Explain any two cultural effects as a result of ICT
33.Explain the function of the following devices
a) Expansion slots
b) Network Interface Card
34. Outline three data transmission modes
35. Explain satellite communication
36. Why was the OSI model created?
37. Explain the term “Data communication and Computer network”
38. List any two types of signals that can be used data transmission
39. Explain the concept of”Line of sight” principle in wireless communication
40. State three advantages of wireless communication
41. The following diagrams shows various transmission media networking to computer
b) State any two advantages of using medium 1 over the medium 3
c) Explain the difference between bridge and a gateway
d) Give the use of the following networking devices
i. Network Interface card (NIC)
e) Explain the difference between Data terminal equipment (DTE) and data circuit terminating Equipment (DCE)
42. List two advantages of cell phones over a fixed line
43. a) State the type of data communication media that could be used in an electronically noisy environment
a) Explain your answer above
44. a) Define the term attenuation
b) Suggest a way of correcting attenuation
45. Describe three different type of computer network
46. a) List four elements of a network
b) State three types of communication media of the following
ii. Unbounded communication
c). Explain two advantages and two disadvantages of unbounded communication
47. i) Define the term bandwidth
ii) Give the coverage of MAN type of network
48.a) What is peer-to-peer network?
b) Give two limitations of peer-to-peer networks
49. A company is to set up a metropolitan area network. State three factors the ICT department personell may have to consider while selecting suitable transmission media
50. Differentiate between the following terms as used in computer networking.
i. Modulation and demodulation
ii. Multiplexing and demultiplexing
51.i) Define the term network protocol
ii) List three internet protocols
iii) A school intends to set up an E-learning system. List three problems that are likely to be encountered
52. Explain the function of the following network devices
53. Differentiate between simplex and half duplex as used in networking
54. a)What is computer network?
b) Give the definition of
ii. Repeater station
FORM 3 WORKHOLIDAY ASSINGMENT FORM 3 2020
1. Convert the following octal number to its binary equivalent 2478
2. Perform the following binary operation in decimal notation
3. State one advantage of using TWOS complement over ONES complement
4. a) Differentiate between standard binary coded decimal and BCD code as used in data representation
b) Convert 2D1616 directly to binary
5. a) Describe the three different ways a computer may store negative numbers
b) Give the acronym for the following
6. Convert 3BD16 to octal
7. Computers process digital data through a process called coding. State and explain three coding system
8. a) Describe the ways in which a computer can represent a positive and negative number
b) A particular computer stores numbers in a single 8-bit word. How would it represent 0.312510?
c) What is the decimal equivalent of the number 1.01112?
d) Perform the decimal subtraction 1410-610 using
i. Regular binary
ii. Ones complement
10. Using ones complement, calculate 510-910. Use six bit in your calculation.
11. Convert the hexadecimal numbers ABCD to octal
12. using two’s complements subtract 4 from 7 and give your answer in decimal notation (show your working clearly)
13. a) Subtract 01112 from 10012
b) Using two’s complements subtract 7 from 2 and give the answer in decimal notation
i. 91B16 to octal
ii. 3768 to hexadecimal
iii. 9.62510 to binary
14. a) Differentiate between pure binary and BCD code as used in data representation
b) Write the following abbreviations in full
17. a) Subtract 11002 from 100112
b) Using two’s complement subtract 7 from 4 and give the answer in decimal notation
i. 91B16 to octal
ii. 3868 to hexadecimal
iii. 9.625 to binary
18. Explain three most commonly used coding schemes
19. Using the place value method convert 6710 into a base two number
20. State three reasons why computers use binary numbers in data representation
21. Perform the following binary operations
22. Convert 3206.125 to the following bases
23. a)Convert 110110012 to decimal
b) Convert 10110001111011112 to octal
c) Convert AC2716
d) Convert 15010 to hexadecimal
24. a)Describe two ways in which computer can represent a positive and negative number
b) What is the decimal equivalent of 1.01112?
c) Perform the decimal subtraction 14-610 using
i. Regular binary
ii. Ones complement
25. Give two reasons that justify the use of binary system in computer
26. Represent 23 using the BCD coding scheme
27. a) What is the hexadecimal equivalent of 7678
b) Use one’s complement to represent 510
28. a) Perform the following binary arithmetic and give answer in decimal notation
b) Convert the following numbers into binary equivalents
c) Using four bit twos complement, perform the following arithmetic
29. a) State three data representation codes used in computers
b) Arrange the following data units in ascending order of size BYTE, FILE, BIT, NIBBLE.
30. Subtract 01112 from 10012
31. a) Perform the following binary addition 1010+0111
b) Convert 101101000101012 to hexadecimal
32. State three ways used to represent a negative number
33. Write 00101101 in twos complement
34. What is a byte?
35. Using 8-bit two complement notation compute;280+(-15) and give your answer in decimal
36. Obtain the binary equivalent of D01516
4. State four application areas of online processing system
5. For the following applications, state what mode of processing would be most appropriate. Justify your answer.
Nuclear control plant
Processing of students marks to prepare final report
Students work on terminals located on different computer connected to a central host.
A computerised supermarket where stocks are updated as soon as sale is recorded
A payroll system where data is brought in from various branches countrywide and processed at head office
6. Define the following terms
7. State three advantages and disadvantages of using observation methods in data collection
8. Explain two factors to be considered when designing an input specification
9. Differentiate between the following terms
Straight changeover and Parallel changeover
Syntax errors and logical errors
COMPUTER STUDIES form 2 holiday assignment 2020
1. Differentiate between the following terms:
Analogue computers and hybrid computers
Supercomputers and mainframe computers
2. List two reasons why a laptop computer is more expensive than a desktop computer.
3. State three application areas where supercomputers are used today
4. Using an abacus represent 5780
5. With examples, explain four methods used to enter data into a computer.
6. List three application areas of optical character recognition
7. Outline four characteristics of a primary memory.
8. List four functional differences between impact and non-impact printers.
9. Explain three factors to be considered before purchasing a printer.
10. Differentiate between:
System software and application software
Firmware and utility software
Open source and proprietary software.
Single purpose program and intergrated software.
Log in and log out
11. List four factors that should be considered when selecting a computer hardware.
12. Describe the functions of operating system in resource management.
13. Outline the factors one would consider when chosing an operating system
14. Explain each of the following commands as used to manage files and folders
15. Describe the following disk management features of an operating system
16. Why is it important to print preview a document before printing?
17. Define the term proofreading
18. List four proofreading tools in Microsoft word
19. Differentiate between the following formatting tools techniques
Alignment and indentation
Toggle case and title case
20. Describe the steps in mail merging a document
21. With examples, discuss the areas of application of spreadsheets.
22. Differentiate between the following
SUMIF and SUM
Mode and standard deviation
23. What is the difference between data sorting and filtering?
24. Describe the following types of charts and state the most appropriate condition they are used
25. Line chart
26. Describe the following excel errors
27. What is a DBMS?
28. List five components of a DBMS environment
29. Explain six functions of a DBMS
30. Describe the following database model, give example
31. Differentiate between the following field properties
Validation rule and validation text
32. Use diagram to describe the following types of relationships
One to One
33. Differentiate between the following terms
Bound and non bound control
Referential integrity and validity integrity
34. Define the term internet
35. Discuss four requirements for internet connectivity.
36. Define the term protocol
37. List two main protocols used with the internet.
38. What is the meaning of the following acronyms?
39. Identify the parts in the below e-mail address
41. Explain the following internet services
42. Explain the following terms
43. Define the term computer vines
44. Explain five symptoms that shows a computer has been affected by a virus.
45. Explain five measures a person would take to protect computer from virus attack.
46. Differentiate between
47. Data encryption and data decryption.
48. Differentiate between graphic based and layout based desktop publishing software.
49. What are master pages?
50. Explain the term layering as used in DTP.
51. Differentiate between the following terms
Pasteboard and printable page
Kerning and tracking
1. Define the following term
2. Differentiate between the following terms
i. Analogue computers and hybrid computer
ii. Super computer and mainframe computers
3. List six reasons why a laptop computer is more expensive than a desktop computer.
4. using an abacus represent 5780
5. Define the term “Artificial intelligence”
6. Draw a diagram of a keyboard layout explaining parts to function
7. List three application areas of optical character recognition.
8. Differentiate between the following terms
i. Static RAM and dynamic RAM
ii. Address bus and control bus
9. List four functional differences between impact and non impact printers.
10. using an illustration, describe the internal structure of a floppy disk.
11. Explain three reasons why optical disks are much preferred than the floppy disk today.
12. Differentiate between
i. System software and application software
ii. In-house developed software and vendor off the shelve
iii. Log in and log out
13. Outline the factors that one would consider when choosing an operating system.
14. Explain each of the following commands as used to manage files and folders.
15. Describe the following disk management features of operating system.